Castle of Alba de Tormes
It contained a palatial area with an Italian gallery and a round turret, the Torre Blanca.
This is the only turret that has been preserved.
The town was fortified in the 12th century. In 1304 Fernando IV handed it over to Alfonso de la Cerda.
In 1472 García Alvarez de Toledo obtained the title of Duke of Alba, and carried out reform works in the castle.
In the late 15th century the old building was thoroughly transformed and made into a castle-palace with a barrier without turrets.
During the War of Independence the French troops used it as their headquarters.
The tower and its paintings were restored by the current Duchess of Alba and the remains of the old castle-palace have been found recently in the course of an archaeological excavation.
Castle of Ciudad Rodrigo
The artillery barrier that surrounds the castle was built in the early 16th century.
Its construction may be attributed to the Castilian king Enrique II. There was a previous castle in this strategic post between Portugal and Castile.
The Trastámara monarch is believed to have carried out a reform of the previous building in 1372, followed by several destructions and reconstructions up till the 16th century.
Ciudad Rodrigo, like Zamora, had been in favour of king Pedro and after his death asked king Enrique for help.
The Portuguese king handed Ciudad Rodrigo to Enrique II, who immediately started to rebuild it.
In March of 1927, the town hall requested that the Fortress be donated so as to create a museum. In 1929 the donation was expanded so as to establish a Hotel that later on became a Parador Nacional de Turismo. It remains a Parador to this day.
Castle of Ledesma
The fortress takes up an angle of the walled enclosure which could be part of the fortress built by Fernando II, of which only the pointed door has been preserved.
Two D-shaped towers were built in order to separate the castle from the rest of the walled enclosure.
New reinforcement works were done in the 18th century.
In 1331 Alfonso XI handed the manor of Ledesma to his son Don Sancho.
In 1476 the Catholic Monarchs confirmed the donation of the village to Beltrán de la Cueva.
Castle of Miranda del Castañar
The castle, or at least the tower of homage, was probably built by Pedro de Zúñiga.
By means of a small enclosure that serves as a gate, the tower is attached to another D-shaped tower and other remains that might belong to a previous fortress.
The round loopholes are the usual 15th-century artillery loopholes.
In the lower level there is an angel holding the coat of arms of the Zúñiga family.
Miranda was founded around 1215.
The well preserved wall probably dates from that time.
Prior to the death of Diego de Zúñiga, the fortress is taken by García Alvarez de Toledo, the Duke of Alba, who claimed to be entitled to have it.
Castle of Monleón
The tower has five storeys, two of them with woodwork, and has been restored by the owner.
The most outstanding feature of the castle is its Tower of Homage, similar to the tower of San Felices de los Gallegos.
It dates from the 13th century,There must have been a previous 14th-century castle, but the present castle was built in the 15th century.
Monleón belonged to the community of Salamanca and was walled in after its repopulation in the late 12th century.
In 1477 the wife of mayor Rodrigo Maldonado heroically held out against the troops of Fernando el Católico (Ferdinand the Catholic).
In 148 the Catholic Monarchs separate Monleón from Salamanca turning it into a town.
Castle of Montemayor
Rectangular fortress with rectangular turrets in the corners.
The outside barrier, of which only the cubes with loopholes have been preserved, must have been built in the second half of the 15th century by the Silva family.
In 1538 Carlos I created the manor of Montemayor and gave it to don Juan de Silva y Ribera, captain general of Navarra.