Salamanca Main Houses
Casa de Alfonso y María de Solis / Palacio
de los Solis
Building began in 1477. In this palace the wedding between Felipe II and Manuela of Portugal took place in 1543. Nowadays it is the headquarters of Telefonica and cannot be visited.
Of the original building only the lintel above the window looking out onto the Calle Concejo remains; the rest of the building dates from 1934 and is made in a Neo-Renaissance style that is similar to the Palacio de Monterrey.
Address: PZA. DE LOS BANDOS- CONCEJO
Casa de Álvarez Abarca
Building dating from the 15th century, nowadays it is the provincial museum. Belonged to the doctor of Isabel la Catolica. Facade made at the end of the 15th century. Contains paintings and sculptures of great value.
Address: PATIO DE LAS ESCUELAS, 2 Y SERRANOS, S/N
Casa de Doña María la Brava
Built in the second half of the 15th century. Local tradition associates this house with the bloody events of the bands from Salamanca that took place in 1465. This house was built by the descendants of Maria la Brava around 1485.
Address: PZA. DE LOS BANDOS, S/N (COLEGIO OFICIAL DE ARQUITECTOS)
Casa de la Tierra
From the end of the 15th century it conserves a large doorway under a round arch, there is gothic tracery on one of the windows. The patio is rectangular with galleries on three sides, there is no gallery on the north facing side. The columns are from other buildings.
Address: PZA. DE LOS SEXMEROS, 2
Casa de las Conchas
Most impressive monument of the era of the Reyes Católicos in civil art. Built at the end of the 15th century.
Gothic, Moorish and Italian elements are joined in this house.Its founder was Doctor Rodríguez Arias and shells, which are the symbol of the Order of Santiago, of which he was the chancellor founder, dominate the ornamental style.
The railings of the windows of the upper floors separate them into two with decorated Gothic arches.
Above the doorway is a large crest with the eagle of the Reyes Católicos. The part overlooking the street, the Rúa was restored in the 18th century.
The interior patio is made up of a double gallery, the lower one with Mixtellian style arches with lions heads with rings holding shields in the spaces. The columns from the upper gallery must have been brought from Italy.
Address: COMPAÑIA, 2
Casa de las Muertes
Building with the secrets of a mysterious crime enclosed in its walls. Built in the beginning of the 16th century.
The grottos that decorate it are fine and delicate. The medallions of the upper and lower tiers may correspond to those of a wedding couple.
On the main balcony there is a bust of the Archbishop, Don Alonso de Fonseca.
The heads of winged angels top the building.
On the lintel above the door there is another coat-of-arms.
Address: BORDADORES, S/N
Casa de Santa Teresa
16th century building that was the residence of Santa Teresa. Its appearance is severe with the only decoration being the coat-of-arms of the ovalle.
The residence of Santa Teresa when she came to Salamanca in 1570 to found the convent of San José.
It was here that the Saint wrote the poem: "Vivo sin vivir en mí" ("I live without living in myself").
The house has a Castilian style patio with stone columns and wooden supports.
Address: PZA. DE SANTA TERESA, S/N
Casa de Unamuno
Old rectory house. There is a museum where the writer's personal objects are on display: furniture, mementos, archives.
There is an area for the investigators with an extensive bibliography on the subject.