Burgo de Osma information
The origins of El Burgo de Osma can be traced back to a primitive pre-Roman civilization settlement of Úxama, a place which centuries later would be submitted to Roman jurisdiction. However, it was in the time of the Visigoths that the town began to undergo a period of splendour, since in the 6th century A. D. it became an Episcopal See until the arrival of the Arabs.
After the Arab domination, the city recovered its former status as capital in the 12th century. The formation of the current nucleus of El Burgo de Osma took place from the the year 1101, when bishop Pedro de Bourges chose as the site of the cathedral a monastery situated next to the river Ucero. This privileged situation was to last for centuries, and in the Renaissance era the town even had a university.
The old medieval structure is centred around the Cathedral. The building, in the Gothic style, was built in 1232 over another Romanesque building which had begun to be built in the time of San Pedro de Osma. On the outside, several Renaissance additions to its main façade can be seen, as well as a graceful baroque tower built in 1739. The interior of the building conserves abundant samples of original Romanesque art, as well as a beautiful Gothic cloister. Among its most precious items are the high reredos, a work by Juan de Juni, as well as the tomb in polychromatic stone of the founder, San Pedro de Osma. In the sacristy you can see a large collection of codexes, among which is the Commentary on the Apocalypse by the Lay Brother of Liébana.
Next to the cathedral precinct is the Episcopal Palace, a building with an interesting Gothic style main front. In the Calle Mayor you can admire one of the most typical prints of El Burgo de Osma: that of the old houses supported by porches with stone columns.
Also arcaded is the Plaza Mayor, where eighteenth century buildings such as the Town Hall and the San Agustín hospital are located, the latter having two towers with spires flanking its main facade.
The historic city walls were built by bishop Pedro de Montoya in the 15th century. The San Miguel gate, which is still in place is one of several which allow access to the medieval hamlet
Oficina de Turismo: Plaza Mayor, 1
42300 El Burgo de Osma (Soria)
Tel. +34 975360116