Medina del Campo Castle
Castle of La Mota is one of the largest castles in Castile. It was used as a fortress and in its time was a strategic military centre.
The plan of the castle has a trapezoid shape. The main entrance has a fixed bridge which in the past was a drawbridge. Once over the bridge, we can observe an arch with two turrets and the royal coat of arms of the Catholic Monarchs. The interior is made up of four towers with a courtyard, where the living quarters of the building are distributed. It was the archive of the Crown during the reign of Enrique IV. It was given a military use and was also an artillery magazine, due to its enormous dimensions. It was one of the objectives of the royalists in the uprising of the 'Comuneros' in the 16th century. It was used as a prison of illustrious figures during the 16th and 17th centuries, and its grounds were home to Juana la Loca. In the post-war period following the civil war, from 1942 onwards, it was used as a training school.