Castle of Curiel
The oldest castle of the province. Some experts believed it was built in Roman times. The masonry dates from the 9th century.
It preserves the remains of an important walled enclosure.
Castle of Encinas
In 1394 Diego López de Zúñiga acquired the village of Encinas and had the castle built.
In the 16th century Antonio del Río Aguilar purchased the castle and had it reformed: the large windows (closed today) were added, as well as the coats of arms of the Aguilar family, located in the corners of the towers, very similar to the ones located in his funereal chapel in the convent of Parral in Segovia.
In the early 20th century it was purchased by Cándido Moyano, who emptied out all the indoor premises, since they were in bad condition. The castle was later on rented as a home to several neighbours of the village.
In the 50's, it was acquired by the Senpa and used as a silo. Today it is not in use.
Late 14th-century castle-palace, a rectangular "safe house" with regular interior courtyards.
It is a Mudejar castle-palace, like the castles of Curiel, Yanguas and Toral.
A solid-looking structure, with square turrets topped with battlements.
Castle of Fuensaldaña
Built in the 15th century by the Vivero family as a noble home. The family became linked to the region's history when the future Catholic Monarchs got married in their castle.
During the Comunidades war, it was peacefully occupied by the comunero troops.
The castle was restored by the Provincial Government to make it into a tourist Parador, but this never happened. Then it was donated to the Regional Government and became the General Assembly of Castilla y León. For this reason, the interior has been heavily altered.
Castle of Íscar
The oldest part preserved is the remains of the wall hugging the perimeter of the hillock. A moat and a tower, the centre of today's structure, were built on the side overlooking the moorland.
The tower was reinforced in the 15th century. Different structures were added later on.
The most peculiar of these structures is the north side of the tower, where a solid round cube was attached, with three sentry boxes. It served as a buttress, to avoid the tower crumbling down.
There were some serious foundation problems in the past.
Pedro de Zúñiga, the second Count of Miranda del Castañar, was responsible for the main works carried out in the castle. His coat of arms, Zuñiga y Avellaneda, and that of his wife, Catalina de Velasco y Mendoza, can be seen in the castle.
The coats of arms are inverted, like the ones in San Felices de los Gallegos and Villalonso.
Legend has it that Alfonso XI killed one of the mayor's squires because he refused to lodge him when he was hunting in the area.
Castle of la Mota
One of the larges castles in Castilla y León. It dates from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. Important works were carried out under the Catholic Monarchs in the 15th century. It is owned by the Junta de Castilla y León (Department of Education and Culture). It is complete and restored. It holds courses, seminars and conferences (accommodation included).
The present castle used a corner of the old village, built with masonry, like in the castle at Olmedo.
The staircase, built in the walls, leads to the tower and was built during the restoration works of 1923 and 1940.
The present building is the result of the restoration works which left the interior distribution of the building untouched, except for the entrance hall and the access to the tower of homage, where modern structures were attached.
The present castle dates from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries, with important works carried out under the Catholic Monarchs in the 15th century.
It used to be a state prison, Many important politicians and military men of the 16th and 17th centuries served time in it.
It was restored in 1940 and subsequently transferred to the Junta de Castilla y León.
Castle of Montealegre
It is a huge castle, built in the 14th century. Its walls and towers were never conquered. It is owned by the Ministry of Agriculture. It was used as a cereal silo. Today it is not in use.
The castle is shaped as a trapezoid..
It was built in the 14th century, possibly by Alfonso de Meneses, due to its pentagonal tower, reminiscent of the fortresses of Ayllón and San Felices.
The walls are 4 metres thick and almost 20 metres high.
Above the pointed entrance is the coat of arms of the Alburquerque family.
The pentagonal tower is accessed, on the grond floor, through a pointed door decorated with Gothic flower motifs.
The castle, as well as the village, are inextricably linked to the life of the Valladolid poet Nicolás Guillén.
It was used as a shelter by the Comuneros during the Comunidades wars.
Castle of Peñafiel
One of the most representative examples of the so-called "rock" castles in Castile, Peñafiel represented, together with its castle, a strategic point along the Duero defensive line, both for the Christian and the Muslim troops, around the 9th and 10th centuries.
The present castle is unfinished. It was built on previous ruins in the 15th century by Don Pedro Girón, master of the Calatrava Order.
Upon taking it from the very hands of the Moorish leader Almanzor, in 1013, he had the first stones laid and proclaimed it "the most faithful rock in Castile".
Castle of Portillo
This castle was built between the 14th and 15th centuries. Quite complete. The tower houses a photo exhibit that may be visited. It is owned by the University of Valladolid.
The castle is the result of several consecutive building stages over a period of 150 years.
In 1470 the Count of Benavente had the exterior barrier built, tus strengthening the military structure of the castle, which had been more of a palace until then.
The Prince Tello was its first builder. Over the years it passed through the hands of many a Castilian family, such as the Sandovals or the Mendozas. It was finally owned by Rodrigo Alonso Pimentel, the Count of Benavente.
Don Álvaro de Luna was imprisoned in it prior to his execution in Valladolid.
Castle of Simancas
Built in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries by the Admirals of Castile, the powerful Enríquez family.
It is owned by the Ministry of Culture and houses the General Archive of Simancas.
Castle of Tiedra
It has a three-storey tower of homage. The highest one housed a pigeon loft. The tower has vaulted ceilings and conserves part of the original beams and the spiral staircase.
The rectangular tower is built with large stones. It was built by Alfonso de Meneses, the brother of María de Molina, in the late 17th century.
When the Meneses lineage disappeared, Enrique II donated the castle to the Alburquerque family. Juan II confiscated the village and the fortress in 1430, and used it as a prison (the bishop of Palencia was locked in it). Later on it became the property of the Girón family.
The north and west fronts formed part of the original 12th-century wall, of which only a few remains have been preserved on the opposite side of the hillock.
It stood on the border of Castile and León, although it always belonged to the kingdom of León.
The fortress was part of the price paid by El Cid to Doña Urraca to get her to liberate Zamora on behalf of Sancho II, who lost his eyesight in the siege of 1072.
Castle of Tordehumos
Medieval castle. The village is named after it.
The name of Tordehumos makes reference to the signals of smoke that became from the tower of this strength.
Castle of Torrelobatón or of the Comuneros
Rock castle flanked by two wolves chained to the lock of the entrance gate, known as the castle of the Wolf Tower, as indicated by the village's coat of arms and that of the castle itself.
Built with large stones, it has very thick walls.
The pointed arches indicate it must have been built in the 13th century, undergoing reforms in the 15th century.
There is a square courtyard, with three cubes in one of the angles and a projecting cubic turret in another.
The ground floor of the tower of homage is he oldest part of the castle.
The castle was attacked in 1521, during the Comunidades war, by Juan Padilla. The structure was severely damaged and had to be rebuilt in 1538.
Castle of Urueña y Murallas
The walled structure hugs the jagged side of the bleak plateau, overlooking the vast Tierra de Campos.
The castle has a square ground plan, with round cubes reminiscent of the fortress in Toro.
The space between the wall and the castle might have been a defensive yard.
Two gates led inside the enclosure, the Azogue and the Villa gates.
The main access gate, not preserved, must have been located in the highest part of the village, where the cemetery gate stands today.
Urueña was part of the manor of Valladolid that Alfonso VII had given to his sister Sancha.
Its strategic location in Tierra de Campos, on the very border of the kingdoms of Castile and León, made her the battleground of numerous wars between the two kingdoms.
León kept the upper hand until 1281, when the fortress was reconquered by the Castilian troops.
Castle of Villafuerte
It has crenellations, angular cubes and battlements similar to those of the Fuensaldaña castle.
The Tower of Homage has been restored and furnished. Today it houses a museum.
It was erected in the 15th century, forming pat of the defensive line drawn alongside of the river. Its first lord was García Franco, a Jew who later on converted to Christianity. It might have been built in order to control his properties. We must remember that the Jews were frequently attacked during the 15th century.
Castle of Villalba de los Alcores
Strictly military rectangular castle.
Construction started in the early 13th century by the Order of the Hospital Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem, upon their return from the first Crusade.
It was part of a defensive triangle that also included the bastions of Montealgre and Valdenebro (the latter no longer standing).
The defensive system was based on a triple enclosure surrounded by a wall.
Near Villalba is the village of Fuenteungrillo, one of the most important medieval villages of the Region.