Monastery of Nuestra Señora del Prado
Founded in 1440 by Jerónimo monks. Known as the "El Escorial" of Vallalolid. Built in the 15th, 17th, 18th and 20th centuries.
It was a Jerónimo monastery, the oldest part is the church from the era of the Reyes Católicos. It underwent restoration in the 17th century.Building with three cloisters. The vestry is rectangular, above it there is a passageway giving access to the vaults that are decorated with painted plasterwork.
There is an inscription on the façade of the monastery showing that it was finished in 1726, it is a columnario façade.
Monastery of San Benito
Property of the Council. The foundation of the monastery is due to Juan I who in 1390 donated it to the Benedictine Order although the building was began in 1499. Dates to the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.
Church of three naves with arches and the choir below, it was the head of the Benedictine Order. The portal was built by Rodrigo Gil de Hontañon between 1569 and 1572. Juan Rivero Rada, a contemporary of Juan de Herrera, designed the Patio de Contemplación, which has later been called Herreriano.The patio of the guesthouse are the Council offices.
The Gothic church is separated in two by a railing. The most important pieces of work were transferred to the Museo Nacional de Escultura.The first tomb next to the Gospel belongs to Francisco de Butrón. It is covered with an arched vault. It is enclosed by Plataresque railings.
Monastery of San Joaquín and Santa Ana
Felipe V ordered its construction in the 18th century although Carlos III decided to rebuild it along Sabattini lines.Opened in 1787.
Neo-classic building with circular church.The church has works of art on Neo-classic altars by Ramon Bayeu and Francisco de Goya (those in the Epistle) in his Neo-classic period.There is also a patio, a choir, a cloister and the Museo de Gregorio Fernández y Pedro de Mena.
Monastery of Santa Isabel
Sculpture Museum with works by Gregorio Fernández and Juan de Juni.Founded in 1472. 15th century convent.
Church of only one nave with arched vault. The cloister dates back to the 16th century and contains cells. Arched chapel and library. Museum with paintings and sculptures.
The main altar is the same design as the Colegiata de Villargarcía de Campos and is in two parts and an end room. Next to the Epistle there is a 16th century altarpiece designed by Juan de Juni.Museum showing local customs and a kitchen with domestic objects.
Monastery of Santa María de las Huelgas
Founded by Queen Doña María de Molina, wife of Don Sancho el Bravo, the present monastery was built in 1579, planned by Juan Ribero y Rada and carried out by Juan de Nates and his surveyor Sebastian de la Vega.
It is the first building in the city of Vallalolid of Classical style, following the example of the Iglesia de Villagarcía de Campos.
The church is in the shape of a Latin cross inside a rectangle, of one nave divided into three sections by arches resting on columns decorated with Corinthian capitals and chapels between the buttresses. The interior contains vaults. The materials used are mortar, brick and stone columns.Access is gained through a simple square door, made in stone with a triangular arch.
The monastery included remains from the palace of Doña María de Molina, one of the gates from the fortified wall and a 15th century tower with a rose window in Flamígera tracery.
The chapel of San Bernardo, founded by the Abbess Ana Quijano de Mendoza, is today a chapter room. It has two sections covered by arches.Plataresque portal crowned with the coat-of-arms of the family.
The main altarpiece follows the example of El Escorial, in the centre of the transept is the 15th century tomb of Doña María de Molina, made in alabaster.
In 1622 a new cloister designed by Francisco de Praves is built and the dismantling of the old one is begun.It is square-shaped and has two floors, the lower one with arches on square pillars with Tuscany fronts and a stone turret and the upper one of brick with windows.
There is another cloister, of which little remains, possibly also the work of Praves.
Monastery of the Domicans Mothers of Santa Catalina
Founded in 1488.Church of one nave covered by tubes in the transept.Renaissance cloister.
The main altar is the work of Diego Valentín Diáz, the most important local painter of the Valladolid school of the 17th century.
Next to the Gospel is a painted 17th century altarpiece and a Crucifix by Juan de Juni, who is buried in the church along with the rest of his family.
In the nuns' choir at Easter the Cristo Yacente by Gregorio Fernández is on display.