In 1199 Alfonso 9th married Doña Berenguela. Between 1188 and 1195 he started the construction of the castle and the walls.
After that, Sancho IV donated Toro its fortress to his wife, María de Molina, in 1283. She rebuilt the old castle giving it the present structure.
During the 15th century, it was used as a prison. Part of the entourage of the Dolphins of France was kept captive in its cells.
In the mid 19th century the castle was in
ruins, having been used mostly to store gunpowder. The castle
was later on refurbished.