Monastery Carmelita de San José
There is a small house with room for about 7 people for those who seek spiritual rest and wish to take part in prayers with the nuns that live in the monastery.
The church can be visited and has a very valuable altarpiece and a piece of Santa Teresa by Gregorio Fernández. The monastery cannot be visited.
Confectionary is made: cakes, bizcochetas. However it is only available for the monastery and relatives.
Monastery of los Jerónimos
Construction began in 1408, founded by Fernando de Valencia (eldest son of Fernando Alonso de Zamora). In the 15th century it housed a theology and philosophy school where the first prior of El Escorial and the confessor of Carlos V in the Monasterio de Yuste, were formed.
A place of refuge for the procurators in the Comunera Revolt who, whilst representing Zamora in the Court summoned by Carlos I in La Coruña, betrayed the will of the people and consequently their effigies were burnt in Zamora.
Monastery of San Salvador
It is said that in the 12th century there was a Templar monastery on this spot, dedicated to Salvador. The crosses and beams have stone inscriptions from the 17th century under the name of "de los caballeros".
Was built in the beginning of the 13th century with three naves with apse and chapels, its construction was conditioned by the existence of a tower on the site , the northern nave of just one section had sloping walls, supporting pillars, staggered, double, pointed arches resting on vaults. The central nave is covered with wooden armour.
The main arch of the middle nave was rebuilt in stone in the 16th century, with its fonts and limestone masonry which was replaced between 1676 and 1684 by pointed ones, the work of Francisco and Lázaro de Vega which survives today, whilst the southern façade was rebuilt with bricks and mortar along with the roof. The rows of bricks strengthen the walls with limestone and rock.
The northern and western doorways are under Moorish arches decorated uniformly in the typical Mudejar style.
The inside of the church was covered with paintings which gave light and colour to the church to such an extent that it was called "el pintado" (the painted one) in the 14th century.
The reforms of the 16th century: adornments, decorations, murals depicting Moorish images from the past: spurs, lozenges, snares, textiles, painted bricks..and even lions confronting each other. Baroque style central apse with the Holy Father and the symbols of the Evangelists which were added after the reformation of the 17th century.
It ceased to be a parish church in 1896 and fell into disuse after which it deteriorated until it became a ruin until 1929 when it was declared a Listed National Monument. The temple was conditioned as a museum for medieval sculpture.
Monastery of Santa María
In the 10th century Córdoba monks from Mazote founded the Monasterio de San Martín de "Castaneira" or "Castiñeira", using, according to findings and testimonies, the remains of another Visigoth construction. Its age of splendour is in the 12th century when they join the Cluny Order.
With the arrival of the Benedictine Reform to the Iberian Peninsula, it becomes part of the Cister Order and Pedro Cristino named abbott in 1150, carries out important work on the monastery.
It is under the rule of the Cister Order that most of the building work on the church of the monastery (12th century) and other buildings is carried out.
Slate and granite are amongst the building material used. At the end of the church is the apse and smaller side apses, the central apse is noteworthy with its three large windows of multiple archivolts and two pairs of columns. The northern gable end has small pointed arches and the southern one has a central window and other veins.
In the west façade there is a double arch and a Proto-Gothic rose window as well as a main doorway built in 1571. There is a representation of the patron saint, San Martín, sharing his cape with a beggar and the inscription of the old foundation.
Seriously affected by the Desmortizaciones (state appropriation of church lands), only the Vestry or Chapter Room (15th century) remain along with part of what would have been the Abbott's rooms, built in 1760, which were restored as from 1987 and dedicated to the Centro de Interpretacion del Parque del Lago de Sanabria.
Latin cross shaped building with thick pillars. There is a vault and the main nave is arched.
The columns are attached to the pillars and the capitals are decorated with human and vegetable forms.
Of the sculptured statues "in mannerist taste and style" the figures of San Bernardo, the Virgen con el Niño, etc. stand out. Along these lines the figure of San Martín on horseback offering his cloak to the poor man (16th century), carried out in wood, is interesting. In the side naves we find other smaller Baroque style altarpieces, presided over by San José, San Juan Bautista and San Benito.
Lower room of Centro de Interpretación. The sarcophagus carried out in stone with walnut wood covers where figures in noblemans clothes are depicted, are noteworthy.
Monastery of Santa Sofía
The central patio, built in 1580 is noteworthy along with the 14th century church door.
These Premostratense nuns have about 10 rooms available for rest and prayer. Nuns convent. Only the courtyard can be visited
Santa María de Moreruela
Its architecture is 12th century Cistercian and Transitional Gothic, modified in the 17th century. The guesthouse was built in the 16th and 17th centuries. Of the monastic portal in the south side only a few rooms with brick arches remain.
Next to the guesthouse a cloister was built; at the northern gate the signs showing the route of the Camino de Santiago are found.
The Romanic style church with Gothic influences has three naves, cross shaped with a large end room (the oldest part, from the 12th century). The main chapel resting on eight pillars, with a semicircular apse leads to seven smaller apses, each with an altar. There are Gothic style vaults with pointed arches and capitals and supports decorated with vegetable images.
The stairway leads to the guestrooms, next to the vestry and in front of the Puerta de los Muertos (access to the cemetery). The Puerta de Monjes led to the Chapter Cloister. On the other side is the Puerta del Pueblo which led to a semi-circular tower and the Puerta de Conversos (converts who helped the monks in return for a plate of food or lodging).
There used to be a railing separating the village people from the monks, in the middle of the central nave. Only the rooms of the west side remain of the Cloister. In the chapter room only three of the nine sections remain; contains vaults as the abbots and a few benefactors were buried here.
The Monks Room is from the beginning of the 14th century, divided into two naves by two cruciform pillars with pointed arches and semi-circular transversal arches with stone vaults. The Novices Wing is from the 17th century. It was a main Cistercian centre.