Badajoz is part of Extremadura and is the
capital of Badajoz province. The province borders on Portugal
and covers an area of 21,657 square km. Badajoz is situated on
the River Guadiana at the Portuguese frontier. The province is
situated in an agricultural region, food processing being the
main industry. Other indutries include textiles, pottery, leather,
Originally a Celtic settlement, Badajoz was successively in the hands of the Romans and the Visigoths, and in 1031 became the capital of a Moorish kingdom. It became Portuguese in the 12th century, and was taken by Alfonso IX of Castile and Leon in 1229. During the Peninsular War, Badajoz surrendered to the French in 1811, but was recaptured by the Duke of Wellington's forces the following year.
The Palmas Gate
This was completed in 1551 and faces the Guadiana river.
Cathedral de San Juan Bautista
The siege of Badajoz
After Lord Wellington had laid siege to Cuidad Rodrigo in January 1812, he moved his forces south to attack the stronghold of Badajoz. The garrison at Badajoz was strongly defended by French troops supported by German and loyal Spanish. The Duke of Wellington laid siege to the fortress form 17th March to 6th April, on the 5th April a large scale assault breached the fortress walls which allowed Wellingtons troops to storm the defences. The main assault failed with the loss of 2,000 men but one of the two diversionary attacks succeeded in scaling the walls at the second attempt. The following day the defenders surrendered. The British troops took their revenge on the town with sustained looting and it was 3 days before order was restored. The Duke of Wellington's forces had 5,000 casualties during the siege of Badajoz.