Prehistory and beaches
RIBADESELLA - LLANES - RIBADEDEVA
We reach Ribadesella by the N-632 following the coast from Gijón. Ribadesella is the capital of the borough of the same name and is at the mouth of the river Sella, spreading out on both banks of the river On the left bank is the historical part of the town, the old Ribadesella which has been declared of Historic and Artistic Interest. On the right hank there are different residential developments which are very much in keeping with the tourist activity in the area. The banks of the Sella are joined hy a bridge built in 1890 and with its 300 metres in length was at one time the longest in Spain. The town has some outstanding buildings such as the 16th century house of Cutre and many buildings dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1912 the Gran Hotel was built and is still running today.
The Cave of Tito Bustillo can also be seen in Ribadesella. It was discovered in 1968 and contains cave paintings of horses and deers which have been dated back to the Middle Magdalenian period. Beside the cave you can also visit the recently created exhibition room.
On leaving Ribadesella we should take the N-634 towards Llanes. Along this route there is a continuous string of beautiful beaches which have made this area famous all over. It is here that we will find one of the widest choices of tourist accomodation in the Principality especially camping sites. The Sierra del Cuera can be seen on the right hand side of the road.
Before we reach Llanes we should stop off to admire the Church of San Antolín de Bedón whose Romanesque outline is quite clearly visible from the viaduct of the road.
Llanes is a town with an extremely interesting historical quarter which has been declared of Historic and Artistic Interest. We can still see part of the town walls and the turret built at the beginning of the 13th century. The pre-Gothic Church of Santa Maria is very interesting and contains a beautiful 15th century altarpiece. Both the house oí Gastañaga and number 32 in the Calle Mayor also date hack to the 15th century. There are still buildings from the barroque period such as the former monastery of the enclosed Augustinian nuns which is now converted into a hotel or the Palace of the Duke of Estrada. The new extension to the town separated from the medieval part by the inner harbour or the Casino near the path of the old town walls are examples of the town's vitality in the last century and the beginning of this one largely due to the influx of money coming from the rich emigrants returning from America.
One cannot leave Llanes without having paid a visit to the romantic San Pedro's Walk looking over impressive cliffs and the famous Sablón beach.
Further on, in Vidiago, where the tasty cheese
of the same name is made, we should turn off the road in order
to visit the important Megalithic monument of the idol of Peña
Tú, dating back to the Bronze Age. Back on the main road
we continue on to Pimiango where we should pay a visit to the
Cave of Pindal, and then on to Colombres where the Archive de
indianos is located (the records of the emigrants who returned
rich from America).