At the foot of sierra del aramo
OVIEDO, TEVERGA, QUIROS
We begin this route by taking the N-634 out of Oviedo towards Trubia. Shortly after leaving the city we will come to the turn off to Las Caldas where there is a famous spa open during the summer months; nearby is the Priorio Castle and the Church of San Juan, which was built between the 11th and 13th centuries, although it was later reformed and which contains a very interesting carved tympanum.
Further on there is a branch road which leads to the Church of San Pedro de Nora, built in the first half of the 9th century during the reign of Alfonso II.
In Trubia we take the road to Quirós and Teverga. We come into an area which has been declared of Interest for its Historic Monuments and whose wonderful countryside is, by no means, less interesting.
In Tuñón we can see the pre-Romanesque Church of San Adriano founded in the year 891 by Alfonso II and his wife Jimena. In Proaza there is a circular tower built between the 13th and 14th centuries as well as the 17th century palace of the González de Tunón family. Several livestock fairs are held in this town.
In Caranga we head into the impressive Peñas Xuntas Gorge carved out by the River Trubia and we go on to La Plaza, where there is the beautiful Collegiate Church of San Pedro which contains both pre-Romanesque and Romanesque features (it was built between 1069 and 1076). The tower adjoining it was built in the 17th century. In its chancel it has a 13th century crucifix.
A little further on, going toward Somiedo, we come to the Church of Santa Maria de Villanueva, a very interesting example of Romanesque architecture, with Baroque coverings. The decoration of the capitals and bases inside the church is oustanding.
After this we must go back again to Caranga where we take the road that goes along the marvellous Quirós Valley. A little further on we can see the Las Agüerias reservoir and afterwards the Romanesque Church of San Pedro de Arrojo, which has an interesting set of capitals and corbels on which the snake is an ever-recurring theme. In the apse there are 16th century paintings which were touched up in the 18th century. Opposite the church lies Peña Alba, where there are ruins of the castle of the Quirós family. Finally, we come to Bárzana, the capital of the borough of Quirós and an important livestock centre. The mountains seen around us belong to the nature reserve of Somiedo.
On the border between the boroughs of Quirós
and Lena, in a meadow called prau Llaguezos, the Fiesta del Cordero
(Lamb Festival) takes place every year, when roast lamb on the
spit can be eaten in the open air right in the heart of nature.
In this borough, a Rural Tourism Centre has been set up in Llanuces.