Ciudad Rodrigo Castle
The construction of the Castle of Ciudad Rodrigo may be attributed to the Castilian king Enrique II. There was a previous castle in this strategic post between Portugal and Castile.
The Trastámara monarch is believed to have carried out a reform of the previous building in 1372, followed by several destructions and reconstructions up till the 16th century.
In March of 1927, the town hall requested
that the Fortress be donated so as to create a museum. In 1929
the donation was expanded so as to establish a Hotel that later
on became a Parador Nacional de Turismo. It remains a Parador
to this day.