San Idelfonso Palace
It is located in the Guadarrama mountains and was a royal residence, an example of European palatine architecture.
Enrique IV built a hunting pavilion in this
area in 1450 and, later, the Catholic Monarchs donated the property
to the Hieronymite monks of El Parral. In the 18th century, Felipe
V, the first Spanish king from the Bourbon dynasty, built the
Royal Palace of San Ildefonso. It is a magnificent example of
European palatine architecture. Its gardens and fountains are
styled after Versailles, with constant references to legends and
mythology, and the rooms are decorated with marble from Carrara,
Japanese lacquer and crystal chandeliers. Its name comes from
an old farm owned by the Hieronymite monks.