It is a Historic-Artistic Site where traces of a Roman and Gothic presence can be found in its walled enclosure and in the splendour of the medieval court of Carlos III in its castle-palace.
It has two medieval churches: Santa María, Gothic from the 13th century and which has a beautiful façade and a magnificent reredos, is situated partly inside the palace, where it was once the chapel; and San Pedro, the oldest in Olite, with a Romanesque façade and cloister. It was built during the 12th century and substantially remodelled in the early 18th century. Only the façade remains of the original structure. Among the civil buildings it is worth mentioning the palace of Olite, which was completely rebuilt in 1937, and the old palace, converted into a Parador Nacional hotel. In the surrounding area are the lagoon of Pitillas, with a bird observatory, and, on the other side of the river Aragón, the Monastery of Oliva, with a striking Cistercian church and Gothic cloister.
Source: Web server of Instituto de Turismo de España, TURESPAÑA.