A Coruña Monuments
The Cathedral of Santiago
Is the end of the pilgrim's journey and its monumentality is worthy of such a deed. It is a key Romanesque work in which numerous architectonic styles converge.
The construction of the cathedral began in the year 1075, during the reign of Alfonso VI and was promoted by Bishop Diego Peláez. Work was carried out under the orders of maestro Esteban on the remains of old temples raised in devotion to the saint. It was built with three naves and a Latin cross plan, on a surface area of around 8,300 square metres. Its multiple extensions have increased the different architectonic styles in the building (Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque, Plateresque and Neoclassical). The Portico de la Gloria is the main entrance. It was constructed by Maestro Mateo in 1188 and houses hundreds of figures representing the Apocalypse. In it, the figure of the Apostle St. James appears to welcome the pilgrims from the Mullion, sustained on a column. The Obradoiro façade of the Cathedral was the work of Fernando de Casa y Novoa, and it is considered one of the greatest expressions of the Spanish Baroque period. The Main Altar is also in the Baroque style and the crypt of the Apostle St. James is located beneath it.
The Tower of Hercules
It is one of the oldest active Roman lighthouses in the world.
Located between Orzán cove and the Gulf of Ártabro. It is a Roman lighthouse from ancient Brigantium. It dates from the 2nd century AD, from the times of Trajano, and was reformed in 1788 by order of king Carlos IV. It was the work of the Lusitanian architect Cayo Sergio Lupo. It has a square plan, measures 68 metres and the light that it casts is visible at sea from a distance of 32 miles. The tower is divided into three sections, each successively narrower, up to the lantern. There is a total of 242 steps. However, according to mythology, Hercules cut off the head of Gerion and built this monument after burying his remains below.
Colegiata de Santa María
It lies in Ciudad Vieja. It dates back to the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, and was once the second most important parish church in the area. Building was completed in the year 1302 and it became a collegiate church in 1411. It is Romanesque in style and its plan includes three naves without a transept. There are wonderful works of art in the church from the twelfth to the fifteenth centuries. The inside of the building has leaning columns. The bell tower has a capital from the fifteenth century and a pointed rose window at the top. The Sacred Art Museum lies inside.
University of Santiago de Compostela
Built in the 18th century, the University building has been extended several times, even though today it only houses the Faculty of Geography and History.
Its current appearance was completed at the end of the 18th century and was designed by the architect Melchor de Prado. Later an old Jesuit college was installed here and another floor was added. Today the most magnificent of all buildings is Compostelana University and its rooms include the Central Hall (decorated with frescoes by Fenollera and González), the Rectorship (with a fabulous 17th century stall), and the Libraries. Today this building houses the Faculty of Geography and History and the Galician Language Institute.
The Casa del Cabildo
Has a lovely Baroque façade. It was designed by the architect Clemente Fernández Sarela in 1758 and its purpose is ornamental, since it helps close off and beautify Las Platerías square. The Casa del Cabildo inspired Valle-Inclán to write the story 'Mi hermana Antonia'.
La Coruña guide