Alameda occupies what was formerly the old orchard of the Convent of Santo Domingo. It is a outstanding example of 19th century urbanism; in the proximity of the gardens many official buildings and commemorative monuments can be found, for example that raised to Cristobal Colon or the one erected to Pontesampaio heroes who defeated the Napoleonic invaders.
The main part of the church, which was built at the end of the 14th century, remains in an attractive dilapidated form.
Still visible is the facade of the chapter house, constructed later. It houses the stone section of the Museum of Pontevedra, and one can find shields, carvings and the medieval remains of noblemen such as Paio and Sueiro Gómez of Soutomaior.
Tristan de Montenegro and Pedro Madruga were also buried here.
An example of the power of lhe Sailors Guild, who
were based in La Moureira. The active sailing port was sited at
the foot of the basilica. While the original style of construction
was Gothic (early 16th century) the later Western gate is an imitation
of a plateresque stone altarpiece. The church was designed by
Cornielis of Holland and Juan Noble. This was the original location
of the town, lying on a promontory and with a bridge, an ideal
position for surveying the river Lerez, on the main North-South
Galician route, with an excellent view of the bay in this location
Pontevedra was protected by swamps and a river with sand bars
that made it difficult for invaders to arrive by sea.
From this spot, we follow the "Rúa de Isabel II" along which the old town was built, forming a fish bone pattern. The urban configuration grew to the east to take in the Way of St. James
From this starting point the road continues opening out into squares and changes its name (as a result of successive extensions of the ancient walled town). To the right lies "Rúa Amargura", and special attention should be paid to the house on the corner built in the 15th to 16th century. Further along, taking the next road on the right, we enter the "Rúa Alta", where the Jewish quarter was located, complete with burial grounds, schools and a pillory. To the left we see the "Santuario de las Apariciones" where Sister Lucia lived after she had seen a vision of the Virgin in Fatima (Portugal).
Continuing along the "Rúa General Mola" we end our walk around Pontevedra entering into the Eduardo Vicenti gardens, with a palm promenade. This gardens, the "Alameda", the Colón gardens and the "Paseo de Rosalía de Castro" constituted a large park area.
Town Hall built in the 19th century eclectic slyle (Alejandro R. Sesmeros, 1877-1890) on the remains of the old council houses (15th to 16th century) and lies at the point where the old historical town meets the Alameda gardens. From this spot we enter the ancient walled town.