Castle of Aguilar de Campoo
The walls and the castle of the Manrique family were built in the 15th century on a previous structure.
The castle was erected on top of a Celt-Iberian vernacular structure and became an important fortress in the 12th century.
Castle of Ampudia
Gothic noble fortress, built in the 15th century by the descendants to Pedro García Herrera, major-general of Castile and nephew of the bishop of Palencia Sancho de Rojas, founder of the Manor of Ampudia.
The building is shaped as a trapezoid, with four square turrets in the corners.
The front is symmetrical.
Don Pedro de Ayala, the Count of Salvatierra, was one of the owners of the castle. He fought in favour of the comunera cause in the battle of Ampudia, which confronted the followers of the emperor and the troops of the Acuña Bishop.
In the 17th century it belonged to Francisco Gómez de Sandoval y Rojas, Duke of Lerma and favoured by the king Felipe III. The castle became the occasional meeting place of the royal court.
It was later abandoned. In 1960 the castle is purchased by Mr Eugenio Fontaneda Pérez.
Today the castle houses a collection of art objects and antiques.
Castle of la Estrella de Campos
The castle was rectangular and had battlements, a moat, round cubes attached to the corners, and a three-storey tower of homage.
Of the original tower, only a vaulted chamber with arches has been preserved.
The fortress was built between 1502 and 1512.
The remains indicate that the building was a war structure.
It stands on a hilltop overlooking a great area of Tierra de Campos.
Castle of los Sarmiento
The original tower of the castle was smaller and may be attributed to the same person who erected the towers of Fuensaldaña, Peñafiel, Torrelobatón and the bottom section of the tower in Belmonte de Campos.
The destruction of the castle in the Comunidades wars led to a reinforcement of the castle.
Inside the tower of homage one can see how the windows were covered to make skylights.
It was built by the Sarmiento family to replace a former 10th-century fortress.
Its name and origin are linked to the Count of Monzón, Don Pedro Ansúrez, the founder of the city of Valladolid.
Castle of Monzón de Campos
The oldest part is the elevated entrance of the present tower of homage.
The coat of arms on the pointed arch of the main gate belongs to the Rojas family and has led experts to conclude that the enclosure was built in the 14th century.
Inside, the castle has not preserved the original distribution except in the tower. A Romanesque door was added to the tower of homage. It was brought in from a church that had been covered by the water of the dam in Aguilar de Campoo.
The village of Monzón, with its castle, was the centre of a county donated to the Ansúrez family by the kings of León during the 10th and 11th centuries.
In the 12th century it was handed over to the Osorio family and in the 15th and 16th centuries it was owned by the Rojas, a family from Burgos that since 1530 had the title of Marquises of Poza. They are likely to have built the present castle in Monzón de Campos.
Restored by the Provincial Government of Palencia, it has been made into a hotel
The oldest section is the bottom part of the tower of homage, which, due to its features, might have been built by Gómez de la Isla (the builder of the castles of Fuensaldaña, Peñafiel and Torrelobatón).
Important reform works were carried out on top of that structure as of 1523. An additional level was added to the tower, covered with a late-Gothic vault.
The castle is open on one side, which is unusual in Spanish castles, like some Renaissance castles-palaces in France.
It might have been designed by the architect Juan de Badajoz the Younger, who got inspiration from other important edifices of the time.
The castle once stood on the border of the Kingdoms of Castile and León, a short distance away from the castles of Medina de Rioseco, Montealegre, Ampudia and Torremormojón. All that remains today is a residential Tower of Homage built in the late 15th and early 16th centuries by Juan Manul de Villena, a member of the old lineage of the Manueles.
In 1622 it was taken over by the Manrique family, who then received the title of Marquises of Belmonte.